Did you know that diabetes can lead to oral health problems? It’s true: those with diabetes have an increased risk of the following issues:
- Periodontitis: infections and inflammation of the gums and bone that surround and support the teeth
- Gingivitis: unhealthy or inflamed gums
- Candidiasis: growth of naturally occurring fungus
- Xerostomia: dry mouth
If you or someone you care for has diabetes or is pre-diabetic, it is important to take the necessary precautions to avoid these problems. Some preventative steps you can take are:
- Control your blood glucose levels
- Brush and floss everyday
- Visit your dentist regularly and discuss your diabetic status with them
- Quit smoking
- Drink water frequently
Take the needed precautions a head of time so you don’t have face the consequences later.
Learn from the National Institutes of Health about how diabetes can affect your oral health.